18 January 2022
The course will begin with an introduction to the tools you will be using throughout the sessions, and a discussion about types of wood and how to select the right wood for the job.
Before the main focus of the course, you will make a bench hook which will include the following processes:
• Measuring, and marking out carefully using a try square and steel rule.
• Cut wood using tenon saw
• Clamp wood correctly
• Use hammer and nails to attach the end batons
You will then move on to adapt the step stool design to your own specification. After drawing up your design you will spend the rest of the course making the steps which will include the following processes:
• Measuring and marking out accurately using try square, marking gauge, and steel rule.
• Clamping work correctly using a range of clamps.
• Cutting wood using panel saw and tenon saw, and your bench hook.
• Producing half lap joints using chisel and mallet.
• Producing dowel joints using pillar drill.
• Joining wood together using biscuit jointer.
• Finishing the wood using abrasive papers followed by wax, oil or paint.